A brief outline of how to obtain a plenary indulgence for the Holy Souls in Purgatory.
Six General rules for obtaining a plenary indulgence
1. State of grace at least when performing the indulgenced act;
2. Complete detachment from sin, even venial sin;
3. Confession (20 days before or after the indulgenced act);
4. Communion (20 days before or after the indulgenced act);
5. Prayers for the Supreme Pontiff (20 days before or after the indulgenced act);
6. Indulgenced act: a special good work with special conditions of place and time.
Indulgenced acts to be performed for obtaining a plenary indulgence
From November 1 to 8: visit a cemetery with a mental prayer for the poor souls.
On November 2: visit a church or an oratory with one Our Father and one Creed being recited.
A partial indulgence can be obtained at any time by visiting a cemetery and praying for the Poor Souls.
The following prayer is especially recommended:
Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace. Amen.
Eternal rest grant to them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.